Trade shows are unique, in that it is a form of marketing where you have the rare opportunity to talk directly with another person, face to face. Today, we mostly communicate through emails which may never get read and any posting in social media may be scanned over, forgotten and never result in any further contact between your company and the reader.Virtual Assistants can help you come out ahead in the Trade Show game. Some of the things a VA can help you with are:
- Booth Staffers. They will meet and greet and engage attendees
- Keep detailed Record Sheets of contacts and sales
- Follow up with the ones who filled out surveys or contest slips
- Send out the Prize or Giveaway
- and much more...
I have written a deatailed article on Trade Show Tips and Tricks and if you sign up for the Wendy-Works Office Solution newsletter, I will send you a free copy.Just use this link to fill in your information on the Contact Page.
One of my specialties as a Virtual Assistant is book marketing. I have a subsiduary website eBook Marketing Specialist and I thought I would share one of my blog posts from there.
The ebooks are passing the hardcovers in popularity. Apparently people who prefer eReaders are reading 30% more books than those who prefer a hardcover version.Why would this be? I can see the digital format being popular because it is so readily available. You can download it from anywhere and receive your copy almost instantly. But, why is it that eBook readers read more books? Maybe because you can access it from your personal device anytime, anywhere. You are more likely to use all the little bits of down time to get back into your book.
Afterall, it's right there at your fingertips and you don't have to remember to bring it with you in your purse or knapsack. Whether you're waiting in line, taking a break or commuting to work (not driving, of course) there is always time for a quick read on your smart phone or ipad.
- Marketers: Keep in mind that most people in the world are carrying around their own portable devices. You may want to switch your way of getting your message out from newsstand versions of magazines and catalogs to a digitized version.
- You will be marketing to a world wide audience instantly.
- Save time and money on shipping and printing.
As this form of eMedia continues to grow so does the competition. In order to compete in today's digital market we need to focus on all the great venues of digital marketing that are available to us. Consumers tend to be greatly influenced by the opinions and reviews in their own online community. If you can get people to share your product information and tack on a good recommendation then your chances of success are greatly increased.
Attending local networking events helps drive clients to your door, literally and virtually? These official events have helped my business grow and prosper. Finding the perfect networking event that suits your business just isn’t that easy or convenient enough to always match your schedule.
I have another suggestion. One that you can adjust to meet your schedule, without the stress or high pressure you are put under at those formal events.
I call this strategy - Personalized Networking Events.
• I create a list of businesses that might benefit from my services
• After researching them and deciding just how I can help improve their lives, I stop by unannounced, or even better write them a letter.
• I introduce myself and briefly touch on a few details of how they would benefit from using my service. I give them a business card and schedule a follow up business meeting.
• At the follow up meeting I present an outline of solutions that I think would interest them and talk further on the challenges of running their business.
Most of my meetings take place in a virtual environment and we rarely meet face to face. But we do communicate by phone, skype, email and message boards. It has become a very personal and quick way of doing business, which more and more people are choosing. The savings in time alone are tremendous and of course the expenses are kept down to a bare minimum.
First: Do your research and don’t forget to check these people out in Google News articles. Their company may have been featured or received an award or had some noteworthy event that has been reported recently. Company websites offer a wealth of information and conversation topics.
Second: Save your notes and carry them with you. The Evernote App is fantastic for this. You can have links to the website and have contact information and your notes at your fingertips. If you don’t have a smartphone then use a notebook or a daytimer.
Third: Find a reason to contact them. Share some interesting information or a news article that you feel would be useful to them. Your aim is to make a personal connection with these people and establish a good rapport.
You may find that, this personable, relaxed approach to networking is more to your liking. I enjoy it immensely and have been rewarded with several new and long-term clients.
According to Newsweek Magazine over 1/3 of us keep our smart phone next to the bed and are on line before we even get up.
Some people may be losing sleep over extreme texting or facebook checking, but you could use an App to get a better nights sleep.
By jotting down those bright ideas and interesting dreams that come to you in the night you could then just roll over and drift back to sleep knowing that your thoughts will not be lost and you can deal with them in the morning.
There are many Apps for digital notes, my favorite is Evernote
which I sync to my laptop.
I also use Evernote for my to-do-lists, Business Journal/Diary, website snippets and much more. If your thumbs won't work right in the middle of the night then you could always try Evernote's voice recording option.
There is such a large variety of tasks that a virtual assistant can do, and its impossible for me to cover them all here, now. So, I’d like to pick just one for today and talk about it. Email.
Back in the early days, email was a lot easier. You were happy to open and answer the few emails that showed up in your inbox each day.
But now, email is a big part of our lives and takes up a lot of time. One way to alleviate the email stress is to allow your Assistant to help you gain control of your email.How can a I help?
A huge amount of time is spent scanning through your email trying to eliminate the spam. I can do this, while ensuring that nothing important gets deleted by mistake.
If you usually leave everything in your Inbox until it’s dealt with, then you know what a horrendous task it can be to start your day faced with hundreds of emails and not knowing where to start or where to find the important ones.
- By setting up filters and folders I can ensure that your email is controllable.
- I can make sure that inquiries are dealt with efficiently and quickly
- Always according to your instructions, of course.
- Your past, present and potential clients are being dealt with.
- Flag emails that only you can deal with
Depending on your business, there are many more ways I can help with your email; whether it be fulfilling orders, organizing your daily calendar or just acting as your contact person when you are busy elsewhere.
Imagine coming into the office and realizing that you only have to deal with the important clients and get on with running your business. No more email backlog, no more searching in vain for an email you haven’t filed away and no more wading through spam to get to the important stuff – I take care of your email while you follow your dreams.
Facebook has changed your contact email address to a new @facebook! No opt in. A spammer’s delight!
Facebook has annoyed users by hiding their email addresses listed in our contact information and replacing it with a @facebook address. This has the potential of driving traffic to the Facebook site and increasing advertising sales.
Of course the company spokesman says that it is done for the sake of consistency. We are providing every Facebook user with their own Facebook email address because we find that many users find it useful to connect with each other, but using Facebook email is completely up to you.”
The plan was quietly announced months ago, but never really attracted any attention. Now that it has been implemented, many Facebook users are predicting a big backlash response as people discover the latest invasion on personal information.
To undo the change you need only go into the “about” link on your profile and choose “edit” . Then you can choose make the Facebook address hidden from Facebook Timeline and make one of your other email addresses visible once again.
A spammer’s delight! All Facebook addresses will be simply, the persons name with @facebook.com. So Now anyone can harvest Facebook names off the Web and fill your “other” folder with tons of advertising and get their company name out in front of millions of viewers for free! Priceless.
3 Tips For Better Text Messaging
Text messaging is rapidly increasing around the world. We are becoming a species of thumb typers.
The following three tips will help you speed things up and save you from possible musculoskeletal disorders that can be caused by long term texting.
Good posture will give you the stamina you need to keep on texting without feeling tired or cramped or doing permanent damage to your musculoskeletal system. A study was undertaken by the Source Department of Temple University in Philadelphia, PA where they watched young adults texting in a public place. They found no difference in style by gender, but there was a difference in posture. Most young women tend to keep their elbows at a 90 degree angle and tucked close to their bodies. The men rounded out their shoulders and both genders (for the most part) extend their neck out. Over one third of the people typed with only the right thumb. A long term study is needed to see what effect these unusual postures will have on our bodies.
By turning your phone sideways for the ‘landscape’ view you have a much larger keyboard, which is more suitable for thumb typing. Not every app will work in landscape mode but most do.
Practice, Practice and you will be amazed at the speed you can type with using only two thumbs. Memorize the position of your home keys by touching your thumbs together over the G H keys and then spreading them apart so they are over the F J keys. These are your home keys.
Pick a simple combination of words and functions and type them over and over again in a sample text. You could start off by capitalizing the first letter of each word and then hit the return key. Say you pick the words ' Are You There? '. Type them repeatedly into a message and hit the enter key after each sentence. Look at the screen not at the Keys! It is supposed to look like a complete mess at first, but believe me it will get better and you will be amazed by the quick results you achieve.
Patience and persistence pays off. After a while this method of thumb typing will be second nature to you. Your friends will be amazed. So, don’t give up keep trying and let us know how you are progressing.
A Working Lunch,
By Wendy Works
A business lunch can be a powerful tool when it comes to capturing the loyalty of new and potential clients. Don’t be afraid of it. If you are not used to this type of venue, then you can quickly master the tips and tricks of hosting and you can own the lunch.
1. Be ultra-organized. E-mail all invitations and confirm the guest list. Make sure that you mention that reservations have been made for a specific number of people, that way nobody will include any friends, family or even worse their legal advisers. Let everyone know who will be attending along with their profiles.
2. Check out the restaurant reviews online and also get opinions from people you know who have been there. If possible make a visit at lunch time and see how quickly people are being served; is there a preferred seating that would complement your meeting; does the menu offer vegetarian dishes. Ask the restaurant for suggestions from the menu and any specials they may wish to offer.
3. Dress in conservative business attire. Leave your phone on until everyone has arrived then make a show of turning it off and hopefully everyone will follow your lead. If there are more than two people meeting for the first time ask everyone to introduce themselves. Sometimes name cards on the table can be quite helpful.
4. Never be rude to the restaurant staff (repeat 3 times). Being rude can be a real deal breaker. A business lunch can show more about a person’s character flaws and strengths in only one hour than a hundred emails. Things like: How they handle poor service; are they drinking too much alcohol; do they have bad table manners (talking with their mouth full of food); or inappropriate conversation topics.
5. Learn some formal etiquette. Which water glass is yours? Which Bread plate? Remember BMW it isn’t just a great car it also is a great way of remembering the correct order of the table. B is for bread (on your left) M is for meal plate (in front of you) and W is for water (on your right). Forks and knives? Just work from the outside in for each course and dessert utensils are laid out at the top of your plate. Napkin should be folded in your lap.
6. Always pay with a credit card. If you pull out cash then it might start an avalanche of people chipping in for the meal. You could make arrangements a head of time or slip your credit card to the server during the meal.
Keep lunch to a minimum of two hours and then stand up and thank everyone for attending. Make sure when you get back to the office that you send a nice thank you note to everyone who was kind enough to attend.
Business lunches are extremely important. It is one of the benefits of working in the city where you can meet everyone for lunch, but try to keep the cost down and the conversation flowing.
Are you going to be presenting an Award or are you perhaps the recipient? Either way, you want to make a great impression on your audience as a person who took control, had perfect timing and was interesting to listen to. The following 6 tips will help you gain the confidence you need to deliver your speech successfully....more
You can’t always tell by a resume if this person will be a good temporary fit for your next project or as a full time employee. Instead of wasting everyone’s time by interviewing all who sent in resumes, it would be better to do a short telephone screening interview and then if they still qualify for the position invite them in for a face to face meeting.
The telephone questions should be exactly the same for every candidate, by the end of the call you should be able to immediately schedule the interview or politely disqualify them.
To do this your team needs to create a script for everyone to follow. A brainstorming session will help you come up with the best questions to ask and the right, wrong and very wrong answers that people may give. Include a section for comments.
Compile all this information into a form and print off as many copies as you need.
As you do the telephone interviews sort out the ones that are scheduled for a meeting into individual file folders along with their resumes and the rejected interviewees into one catch-all folder, just in case you need to refer back to them.
Before the call pre-fill some of the areas of your form: name, telephone number, date of contact attempts and the date you did the screening Interview. more...